Humanoids are stupid. Laugh at them.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

EXPLORER'S NORTH POLE ATTEMPT HALTED BY ICE

A Plymouth-born explorer has been forced to abandon his bid to become the fastest man to walk solo and unsupported to the North Pole.
Ben Saunders, 30, is to be rescued after his equipment failed in 'appalling' ice conditions.

The main bolts which attach the binding of his boots to his skis sheared off and the damage was beyond repair.
He said: "To have an expedition that is the culmination of seven years training, preparation and experience forced to a halt due to an equipment failure is incredibly disappointing, particularly as I am still in excellent physical condition.

"I came here well prepared and believe that the daily distances I have achieved to date - in my first four days I covered 29.4 nautical miles - show that setting a speed record was within my reach.

"The ice conditions I have encountered have been the worst I have ever seen, and worse than I could have imagined."
Mr Saunders, now based in London, dragged his 65kg sledge over ridges of ice and snow the same height as a two-storey building.

Since he was dropped at the starting point on Ward Hunt Island on the coast of Canada on March 26 he has covered 60 miles. But he still had more than 400 miles to go.

He had hoped to complete his expedition in just 30 days.
Rescuers are arranging to pick him up from the ice.

ummm....what were you preparing for, dude? The north pole is MADE of ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home